Saturday, August 12, 2017

Am I Good Enough

All my life I have always wanted to be good enough.  A good enough daughter, friend, girlfriend, wife, and mother.  What makes us good enough?  Is it measured by what others think of us?  Do we measure ourselves by the accomplishments of others?

Comparing ourselves with an external measuring stick is a false comparison.  We can never compare ourselves to others and get a good reading.  The only person we should be compare ourselves to is us.
I read an article recently about a man who had been in his pediatric residency. Here is part of his story.

Through a series of tender mercies as a young doctor coming out of medical school, I was accepted for pediatric residency training in a high-powered, competitive program. When I met the other interns, I felt like the least intelligent and least prepared of all. I thought there was no way I could measure up to the rest of the group.
Early in our third month, I was sitting in the nurse’s station in the hospital late one night, alternately sobbing to myself and falling asleep as I tried to write the admission orders for a small boy with pneumonia. I had never felt so discouraged in my life. I didn’t have any idea how to treat pneumonia in a 10-year-old. I began to wonder what I was doing there.
Just at that moment, one of the senior residents put his hand on my shoulder. He asked me how I was doing, and I poured out my frustrations and fears. His response changed my life. He told me how proud he and all of the other senior residents were of me and how they felt like I was going to be an excellent doctor. In short, he believed in me at a time when I didn’t even believe in myself.
Like this young doctor we often may feel inadequate or not good enough. We see our own failings so much clearer than our successes.  We constantly compare our private selves to others public selves. 
Often others close to us can see us with a more objective eye.  But only look to those around you as they give you confidence and constructively help you to improve.  Don't listen to those who will tear you down.  You will do that enough on your own.  Most importantly give yourself a break.  If you are doing your best and you know if you are, know that you will make mistakes, but just keep at it. 
Am I good enough?  I have no idea, but I do know if I keep trying it will always be a step in the right direction.   
Until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment