Saturday, August 26, 2017

It's In His Kiss

"When the ball in Times Square dropped into place, everyone in the room shared a New Year's kiss with their dates.  Trace took Ellie in his arms and looked into her eyes.  Then his gaze dropped to her lips.  Ellie's breathing picked up and her mouth began to water.  This was the moment she had waited for.  She slowly slid her arms from their resting place on Trace's chest, to his shoulders, and then around his neck.  She tangled her fingers in his hair.  Trace slowly bent his head toward Ellie's, his lips parted and she met him half way.  Their first kiss started slowly. Trace did not want to rush this, he wanted to savor every moment.  Ellie pulled back for a moment and licked her lips. She wanted this to be perfect.  Then parting her own lips, she kissed him with all the fervor she could find.  The kiss intensified and Ellie was lost."

I am an avid reader.  I read all different kinds of books.  It always amazes me how writers can get so much thought out of a simple kiss, or a look.  Whether its passion, or playfulness, terror or sorrow, the emotions always plays across, or in, or deeply in, or at the back of, someone's eyes.

In my reading I also find the depth of passion, or anger, or nervousness, can be felt through a kiss.  I laugh to myself when I  think about the looks or kisses expressed in these books, what that would look like in real life.  Can you really see terror in someones eyes.  Can you feel the passion they have for you in their kiss?  Maybe you can and maybe you can't, I don't know.

I also happen to be an author.  My genre is murder mystery/romance.  The above excerpt is from my second novel - When Embers Ignite.  It's a simple first kiss between the two main characters.  When I first started writing  a number of years ago, I had to block out a kiss, so my readers could feel like a part of the story.  I remember how difficult it was imagining the female's side of the kiss.  It was nearly impossible to try and figure out my male leads part.  I asked my husband for help, he declined. So I had to figure it out on my own.  Toughest thing I have ever had to write.

So when you experience your own love scene with your significant other, while all of these other things are passing through your mind during the kiss, give a little thought to how you might right that scene.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment