Saturday, March 18, 2017

Waxing Philosophical

I went on a twenty mile bicycle ride this morning.  If you're a serious cyclist that is a drop in the bucket.  For me, it was my first twenty miler this season.  This morning I didn't take my head phones so I had a couple of hours to myself to think.  I discovered some things.  First, I need more seat time, because part of me still really hurts when I sit down.  Second, I need to get serious about leg work in the gym if I want to go fifteen mph.  Aside from the obvious physical need for improvement my mind went to the philosophical.

When I first started out the wind was blowing and I was riding into a head wind up a slight slope.  It wasn't extremely difficult just enough to make me work a little bit.  My favorite place to ride is a bike trail about six miles from my home so, I include that mileage in my ride.  Once I get down there it winds through a dedicated wetlands.  I am surrounded by the sounds of nature.  The birds in the the trees and on the river.  The breeze softly blowing through the trees.  It's very peaceful.  The ride itself has flat spots, hills, and bridges, There's even a park along the way.

I decided our trip through life is kind of like my bike ride this morning. Life doesn't have to be difficult but it isn't always easy either.  Like the first part of my ride, life is usually not something that's to difficult to handle.  You have to work a little bit, but you can still make it through.  There is a steep hill on my ride, I have to work hard to get up with out stopping and walking.  Just like this, in our lives there are hills that you have to work hard at to get over.  Once you crest the hill you have a short period of time where you don't have to work at all to get down.  But if you find your hill is taking a long time to crest, you may have to stop and take stock in what you are doing in your life to cause you to be up against this hill.  Once you have looked at your life and maybe changed your course to help you get past this hill, or you have to get off the bike and walk to get to the top.  If you look back you might be able to see where you went wrong.  So when you come up against it again it will be easier for you.

Our way through this life will have some uphill climbs and some straightaways. but if you prepare and strengthen your muscles you will be ready to face what ever challenges come your way.

Until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment