Saturday, November 25, 2017

Christmas Season Is Upon Us

What does Christmas mean to me?  When I was a kid I looked forward to Christmas every year.  It always took forever to get here.  I watched Christmas specials on television, I went with my family every Christmas Eve to look at Christmas lights.  On Christmas Eve after I was supposed to be in bed I would stay up late and watch for Santa's sleigh.  Being from a large family Christmas morning was always fun.  There would be what seemed like a bazillion presents.  We weren't a family who would opened presents one at a time.  After everyone had their presents it was like a free for all.  We  would play with our toys all day long.  What a great time. 

After I got older and there were fewer of us home, there weren't as many presents, we still went for a drive to look at Christmas lights but we didn't get up so early in the morning.  Which as a teenager wasn't too bad.  

Now I'm the mom, and I have teenagers of my own.  I feel more stress and less joy. When I was a kid and my mom said all she wanted for Christmas was for her children to get along, I thought that was lame.  My kids ask me what I want for Christmas and of course as any good mother would say, I tell them I want my kids to get along.  It doesn't seem so lame now. 

I want to know how to find the joy of Christmas again.  I have tried to concentrate on giving to others, just to feel like it's never enough.  I have tried to step back and minimalize my gift giving only to feel like I have disappointed people.  I've tried to make my gifts more sentimental and less expensive, still not so great.  

I am still looking to find the joy of Christmas.  If you have any suggestions please let me know.  

Until next  time.

No comments:

Post a Comment