Sunday, November 12, 2017

Life is Like a Playground

I have worked at my local elementary school since my son who is now a junior in high school was in first grade.  I wasn't always the librarian, I started out as a playground aide.  The one thing I have noticed over the years is the playground is a microcosm of life.  You get to choose what you want to do, where you want to play, but it's way more fun to be with others than all by yourself.

For example, playing on the teetertotter is much more fun with two people.  There are times in my life when I enjoy doing things by myself.  I love to go to the movies by myself.  I can sit where I want, I don't have to share popcorn, and no one talks to me during the movie.  I love going to my favorite restaurant with my favorite book.  Life however is meant to be lived with others. Some times I like sharing my popcorn.  Being along some of the time is fun, being alone all of the time is not.

There are people who have to make the best of it.  Who through no fault of there own are in fact alone.  Given the choice they would prefer to spend their time with others.  So like the playground they can either find some place of joy and be on the swing set alone, or they can search someone out to play on the teetertotter.  Either way people choose to go where they can find peace.  It is easier if you like who you are.

I enjoy my time alone because even though I am not perfect and I see all my own flaws, I have learned that I like me.  It's not always easy to admit my faults not even to myself, but I've found I can accept myself for who I am.  It's easier to accept others once you're okay with your self.

So like my young friends on the playground, be happy where you are and seek out the friendship of others.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment