Saturday, January 13, 2018

Compromise

I am on a writers retreat this weekend.  I usually go on retreat once a year by myself.  I take off and drive for four hours to get to a hotel room in a much warmer place than I live.  I write Friday night, all day Saturday, and again on Sunday Morning before heading home.  I like to get at least four chapters written and use this as a springboard for the next several months for writing and publish a new novel by the end of the year. 

Well last year was different.  I went on my retreat as usual wrote my four chapters was so excited and totally looking forward to publishing my novel as usual by the end of last year.  This is where it gets a my plans took a different turn. It was not a great year for me, personally.  I had some ups and downs and my head wasn't into writing mode. 

Now, because I am self published and have no advertising, and I write for myself because I enjoy it.  It is a diversion for me in my hectic life.  I love my books and my characters.  I love to see how their lives unfold.  A few people have purchased my books, not many, I'm okay with that.  If all the people I talked to about my books who say they are going to buy actually did I might sell a few more.  I hope to bring people a little happiness and maybe help them to escape their lives for only a little while.  That's why I write. 

This year however my writers retreat had to change a little bit.  Tonight I sit in my library at my home writing my book.  Funds were short this last year and I was unable to book a hotel and travel four hours to stay by myself for the weekend and work my guts out.  Fortunately for me I was able to compromise.  I'll still write this weekend. I'll just be doing it at home.  I have done what I can to help my family be comfortable and my "library" has become San Diego.  That's where my latest story takes place.  My family knows when I'm in "San Diego" I am not to be disturbed.  It's not ideal but sometime we have to compromise.  I'm happy my family is supporting me in this endeavor.  I will keep writing this weekend. I just won't have to travel to make it home tomorrow night. And I will continue to write through Tuesday.    So wish me luck and happy writing.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment