Saturday, February 25, 2017

Hobbits Make Me Smile

Memories are funny things.  Any thing could trigger a memory.  Like whenever I smell cucumber melon lotion I think of Hobbits, and it makes me smile.  Why is that you might ask?  The first time I saw Lord of the Rings in the theater I was wearing cucumber melon lotion.  When I smell fresh cut lumber I think of when my husband and I were first married.  He did a lot of wood working, in fact his major in college was teaching shop.  And unfortunately whenever I smell hia karate after shave I think of my first boyfriend, who by the way was a jerk!  I don't like that smell.

There was a funny thing that happened when I was on a mission for my church, one of the young men I served with wore Polo, quite heavily.  Then after I served my mission, I came home, and got married, my husband and I got a dog.  We took him to the groomers and when they finished grooming him they sprayed him with doggie cologne and you guessed it, it was Polo.  So every time we picked him up it reminded me of my friend.

Smell is the most powerful memory trigger.  It can transport you anywhere.  Every time I smell a coal fire I think of Ireland.  Every time I smell burning hair I think of the time I almost lost my own hair to a gas bar-b-que.  Whenever I smell Old Spice I think of my dad.

Food smells are the best.  Baking bread reminds me of my mom, Popcorn reminds me of the movie theater.  Fresh grown vegetables remind me of my childhood, and raspberry jam reminds me of my grandmother.  

I can hardly wait until I can open my windows and smell spring. The smell of freshly mowed grass and the smell of fire burning the irrigation ditches.  So many things to look forward to.

Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment