Saturday, May 13, 2017

It's A Mom Thing!

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!!  To all those who are an influence for good in the lives of children everywhere mothers day is for you!  I used to detest Mother's Day.  You see I couldn't have children for the first thirteen years of my marriage.  So after the first ten years we adopted our oldest child. For the first few years of being childless I was okay.  I wanted children but I was willing to wait.  After the ups and downs of the roller coaster ride of infertility I was so done with Mother's Day.  People would say well meaning but stupid things trying to comfort me.  I just stopped going to church, or talking to anyone on that day.  It was just too hard.  After welcoming our daughter into our home it was easier, then after welcoming our son into our home I thought this Mother's Day stuff was pretty good.  Then being a mom became a little more difficult the teenage years hit. I'd go to church and listen to children and husbands say how wonderful their moms and wives were.  Then the day became hard again.

In true mom fashion guilt became my friend, I wasn't like other mom's.  I didn't do all the right things. Then I told myself to just stop!  Stop thinking so negatively.  Start thinking of all good I could do.  I could be an influence for good in my own way.  Life would be as good as I made it.

Now I love to celebrate Mother's Day, but on my terms.  I decided I don't need a lot of things, I just need my little family around me, like Saturday this weekend we went to a movie together. Sunday we will go to church as a family, have dinner as a family, visit my mother as a family, and then having a family game night.

Every mom is different so every mom will want something unique to her.  So if you're a mom, celebrate the way that makes you happy.  If you're helping a mom to celebrate, do what she wants.

One last thought.  I was childless for long enough to know that being a mom isn't just biological, it's being an influence for good in someone's life,  Showing a maternal kind of love to nieces, nephews, children of friends, younger brothers and sisters.  In short anyone who needs a little maternal love, needs you. So Happy Mother's Day to one and all.

Until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment