Saturday, December 23, 2017

The Spirit of Christmas is Alive

I have worked my last shift at the store until after Christmas.  The shopping is all done, the ham is chillin' in the fridge, and I'm chillin' on the couch.  All of those things tell me it's Christmas. 

The one thing that put me over the top of finding the Spirit of Christmas was the our local high school children.  If you have been following me for any length of time, you will know that every year our local high school, the Riverton Silverwolves has a fund raiser for a local charity.  Now you wouldn't think that is a big deal, but let me explain.  The fund raiser is called Silver Rush, and begins the first week of December.  This year it started on the 2nd and ran through the 21st.  The local charity is called "Now I Can".  It's a charity that helps children with disabilities receive much needed physical therapy.  Every year the approximately 2500 teenagers provide service for contributions to the charity.  Also the activities at the high school that draw an audience ask for donations.  So almost everyone in our community in one way or another contributes funds to the selected charity.  Every year we all wait to see how much the children have collected.  The amazing thing is every year for the last few years the amount has increased.  Last year the final count was $170,000.00  This year our community raised $179,000 in 18 days.  What amazing act of charity. 

After witnessing all of this, my heart was touched and found the joy in giving and the Spirit of Christmas. 

Until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment