Sunday, October 8, 2017

Time Out!!!!

This time of year for me gets out of control time wise. School starts up again, which for most mom's means life starts to slow down.  But I have a son in high school who is in Marching Band, which means this is band competition season.  His competitions go all over the state in a 150 mile radius.  I try to make it to as many as I can. Plus it's no secret I work two part time jobs, in addition to doing all of the other things I do to destress.

The job I love the most is being an elementary school librarian, I love it.  I get to open my kids minds to new books and help them to love reading as much as I do.  It's the best job, especially for a book-a-holic like me.  My other job is working in a bookstore.  I know, I know, between the library thing, the reading, the writing, and the bookstore, it's clear I need a 12 step program.  I am a book-a-holic.

Book wise, this time of year gets crazy for me not only because, well, I do work retail coming up to the holiday season, for me that means Christmas.  But all my favorite authors come out with new novels the last half of the year, and I've always got my mind churning on plot lines.  Even though I rarely have free moments to write them down.  Plus for the first two months of the school year I am traveling to watch band competitions.

I was so excited yesterday to have a rare free Saturday afternoon. It was the perfect afternoon  I got off work at 3:30 and band didn't start until 6:00 so I had some time to ride my bike. YAY!!!! The weather was perfect for cycling.  Slight breeze, temps in the 60's, the sun was shining, ahhhhh heaven.  So after a brief nap I geared up and went into the garage to get my bike.  I always do a pre-ride check so I know everything is working right.  I found my front tire was flat.  It's not unusual to find bike tires have lost air from sitting.  So I got out my pump and pumped up my front tire.  I needed my sunglasses and to put on my bike shoes.  After all of that, I was so ready.  It was going to be a great ride.  I got back out to my bike and realized my tire was flat again. AUGH!

My ride was cancelled and I was bummed.  Not only could I not ride my bike, I have to wait until Thursday to fix it.  Spring and Fall are my favorite times of the year to ride.  Because the weather is perfect, the colors are gorgeous, and I can be one with nature!!  Riding helps relax me and it clears my mind of all of the junk I stew over.  I can still enjoy the weather but it's just not as fun.

Upside, my husband did some dishes while I was at work, and even though I couldn't go riding, I got to kick my feet up and do some cross stitching before having to fix dinner and go to the band thing.  Which by the way I truly enjoy.  Watching my kids do their thing is a definitely parent perk!!!

So take a time out and do something you enjoy!!!!!

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment